Monday, July 21, 2008

Beautiful Disaster


John and I looked at this house for sale the other day in Historic Springfield. It's a 1908 Craftsman style house in a "slightly shady" area of town north of Jacksonville (considered "crack town" by most). Springfield is currently being revitalized and has been for the last 15 years but I'd say it's about another 10 years away from where it needs to be.
We went to see this house and fell in love with it's old charm. It's a great deal (priced at $39,000) but it's a complete gut job on the inside. By gut job, I mean the whole bottom floor needs to be torn down to the studs and the WHOLE HOUSE needs to be rewired. I think it could be a GREAT house! So if there's anyone out there with a little extra money that's looking for a project, this is your house!

6 comments:

The Skoobs said...

That house is amazing!!! That is mine and Dan's dream, to fix up an old house just like that. We love renovations. Dan is my Ty Pennington and I'm the designer...We just love that stuff!!!!!!!

Ashley Perez said...

That house is awesome! You wouldn't think it needs so much work from the outside! I'm astounded at the $39,000. That's less than some cars and you can't even get a condo around here for that price!

Emily said...

WOW!!! I would love to buy it and hire someone to re-do it!!! Notice I said "HIRE"--we cannot do that! We have a hard time hanging shelves straight! :) BUt I love that housse!--totally my style!

A.J. said...

Springfield, huh? At least Lisa and Michelle live nearby, so you could borrow their guns.

Safety first, Thomas.

Meredith said...

I LOVE the houses in that area. Too bad you can't pick the house up, move it to PVB and then completely gut it and rebuild it!

Emily said...

I find it funny that I check your blog daily and I kept not seeing posts and then all of a sudden I see three! Something is wrong with my Internet connection! I think this is a beautiful a house and a great price, if only I wanted to live in a shady part of town! I wish it could be moved to a good side of town and I had the time and money to fix it up, because I do love the feel of the home. The fun part is to think of the history of the house and who lived there when it was built!