Sunday, July 6, 2008

Happy 4th of July!


John and I spent 4th of July weekend in Charleston, SC with his family for a little mini family vacation. It was so much fun! Charleston is one of my favorite cities and it felt so special going on the 4th of July because of Charleston's rich revolutionary and civil war history. I love touring the old homes, plantations, and GREAT restaurants. During our trip, we had the opportunity to tour the USS Yorktown, a WWII air craft carrier that was based in Charleston. It was so neat to see what the ship was like on the inside and where the troops ate, slept, and to see the fighter planes up close. One really neat exhibit that was on the ship was a Congressional Medal of Honor Showcase of all the men that won medals for bravery during war time. As I read through many of the stories of these brave, courageous men, it made me so grateful for the freedom that I enjoy and I was very humbled by the sacrifice of all the men and women fighting to preserve our safety and freedom. God Bless America! I'm so proud to be an American! Here are some highlights from our weekend.

Charleston harbor



L-R: John's brother Robert, sister Emily, John, me

Lunch at Jestine's Kitchen


People line up outside the door to get into this place


Rainbow row


Touring historic homes






Man was it hot!


Middleton Plantation










USS Yorktown








Tribute to fallen heroes





I was really touched by this one that was awarded just this year. This brave young man threw himself over a grenade to save his crew members so they could escape. He looked like he was only 18 or 19 years old! I'm completely amazed at his courage, selflessness, and bravery ESPECIALLY at such a young age when he had so much to live for. Young men like this make me SO PROUD to be an American!



I hope everyone had a wonderful 4th!



Here are a couple more pictures of my adorable nephews that I just received! I can't get enought of these little cuties!

11 comments:

Mandy said...

I have always wanted to go there, but don't know if I could take the heat and humidity, but it looked fun!

Ashley Perez said...

What a gorgeous location!! I need to travel to the south east some day just so I can take pictures of everything! Now that's the way to spend the 4th!

Emily said...

I love all the pictures! Thanks Lindsay for being so quick to post them for me. I had so much fun with you and I love you and miss you already! Along with John and Robert. PS, My mom found the key, she had it in her suitcase! So I am happy it was not my doing! haha :) We found the cutest place to eat and when your here in December we are going to have to go :) I will be calling you Wed. love, Em

Heidi said...

What a wonderful way to spend your 4th!! I also always love to see what darling outfits you are wearing!! You have the best style and you are such a 'class act'!!!

Lindsay said...

Thanks Heidi! I could certainly take lessons from you on style, decorating AND entertaining!

Ashley Perez said...

So what do you think about the bachelorette?! Were you guys surprised? Jeff is addicted to it as well and I recently made him watch all the Trista & Ryan reruns as well as their wedding! Ha ha.

I was so sad she didn't choose Jason, but she seems pretty addicted to Jesse. They acted like they were in hs on the after show!! What will we do on Monday nights now? Hmm...fhe =).

Lindsay said...

I was pretty shocked with the outcome of the Bachelorette! I really liked Jason a lot but after seeing how happy Deanna and Jesse were afterwards, I felt good about it. I like to see the underdog win! He did seem very sincere.

Emily said...

That is so cool! What an awesome way to spend the 4th!!! I just remembered how all of us roomies would get decked out in red, white and blue for September 11th--remember? Very cool pics!

Russ, Julie, and Kids said...

What a fun trip! We have been thinking of stopping in Charleston next month. I'll have to write down all the hot spots. Your pictures are so cute! Hopefully we can get together with you guys soon!

Katie T. said...

Hi Lindsay and John,
I looked at your blog of your trip and etc.
I'm so glad all of you got together and had a good 4th of July!
Good luck on job searching Lindsay!

Emily said...

Hi Lindsay!! I promise I will post tonight. I had a date on friday, and a date that lasted from 11 AM to 2 AM Saturday and so I was exhausted and have not done anything besides clean my room since I just found out I got the Newport Beach spot!!! I am so excited!