Friday, July 10, 2009

The birth of James Cameron Thomas


Little Cameron is 1 week old today! And what a busy week we've had! It's been so much fun having this little guy in our lives! I realize I have fallen behind on my blogging. It's hard to get much done with a newborn around! I'm learning that very quickly. My pediatrician has me breast feeding this little guy AROUND THE CLOCK (every two hours) until he gains back the weight he lost after birth (13 oz) It's been EXHAUSTING but so much fun to have our little baby finally here!

Anyways, on to the story of his birth...

Cameron was born last Friday, July 3 at 9:26 p.m. John and I arrived at the hospital at 7:30 a.m. that morning to be induced. My doctor recommended that we get induced since the little guy hadn't budged in 4 weeks. He was totally ready to be born, he just needed a little push! So they started me on the patocin drip at 8 a.m. and steady contractions soon followed. The contractions really didn't seem that bad and I remember thinking to myself, this isn't as bad as everyone says! Then my doctor came in around 2:30 p.m. to break my water and turn up my patocin drip a little. That's when the real fun began! My contractions got so much more intense then! Each one was spiking out at 100% and I only had about 30 seconds in between each contraction to recover which quickly made them UNBEARABLE. It's not that bad when you have a little break in between but they were so close together! I told the nurse to call the anaesthesiologist! I've never been more happy to see anyone than I was when that anaesthesiologist came in! I got my epidural at about 4:30 p.m. and it made the experience SO MUCH BETTER from then on. It's amazing how it totally takes the edge off the pain almost instantly! I was a happy camper!
Things progressed pretty quickly after that and Cameron was born at 9:26 p.m. after approx. 12 minutes of pushing! I was so grateful that process didn't take hours like so many of my friends have had to endure. Again, I remember thinking, that wasn't so bad! The next morning though I was singing a different tune when the soreness and pain started when my epidural wore off. Apparently delivering an 8 lb baby can do a number on you! The recovery process has been a little rough but it seems to be getting a little better each day. Anyway, here are some pictures we took at the hospital and a few we have taken since we've been home.

Patiently waiting


and worrying


Getting my epidural


He's here! What a little chub!


First family picture


The birthing team- my mom and John


My favorite nurse Kristen. She was SO GREAT and practically delivered the baby! The doctor doesn't come in until like the last minute.


Visitors Visitors Visitors!

Aunt Sandra


Proud Papa


Uncle Robert


Auntie Daisy and Auntie Amyee


Romy


Proud grandma (Mimi as she prefers to be called) She bought him this little outfit and shoes


Cute pj's Uncle Robert bought him


Cam's first nap in his own bed


Swaddled up with daddy. This is one of the blankets my grandmother bought for him before she passed away in May. So special!


Grandma Thomas rocking him to sleep

18 comments:

Emily said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Emily said...

HE IS SO ADORABLE!!!!! I am so excited to see him as soon as possible in person. I am sorry you are uncomfortable in the recovery process! I hope it gets better. I have your package all ready to go that includes his gifts, my Mom's shirt and your birthday card and gift! (it is pathetic that I have had it for over a month and have not sent it yet! It is on its way though! I am determined to send it out tomorrow!!! Love you Linds :)

Mandy said...

Wow you look awesome right before and after having a baby. I want to BURN the pictures after I had Finley. He's a cutie.

Noel said...

Lindsay!!! I am sooo happy for you. I so wish I could be there. He is a doll and you look gorgeous! I can't believe your little guy is finally here! Congrats and I look forward to MANY more pics.

PS-- each day gets easier with the recovery and nursing :)

Krystal Trapnell said...

Sounds just right--enough pain to be initiated into the "club" of motherhood, but not enough to make you swear you'll never do it again! He's so perfect! Love you and miss you!

Alison said...

So cute. He really is so precious! Congratulations again! You look really great by the way!

Ashley Perez said...

Lindsay! I didn't think you were due until later this month and I was so surprised and happy when I got word from Em that the little guy was born!

Can I just say that you look AMAZING? Seriously! If I look half as good as you do when I'm pregnant and give birth I will be one happy woman. A thousand congratulations to you and John! I can't wait to meet him when you guys come for Em's wedding!

Sarah said...

I ditto what everyone else said- I can't believe how good you look even right after Cameron was born! Your hair was all done nice and makeup was on. :o) He is a cutie, Linds! I'm so glad things went well. Hope the recovery goes quick. Keep posting more pictures!

Kristin Lea Robinson said...

Thank you Thank you! I love them all so much. He is so cute. Reading about Granny's blanket made me tear up. I can't wait to meet him and cuddle up with the cute thing!
Thanks for posting. Call me soon and let's chat. I hope you are doing well an that you continue to recover smoothly!

xoxoxoxo

me said...

I have to agree with everyone. You look great in your pictures. I'm sure you made your grandma proud by gracing the doctors and nurses with your face a glow and every hair in place. You defenitly looked your best for just having had a baby.
Cameron looks so adorable in the pic where he is wearing his outfit from Robert.

Emily said...

Yes, I hate hate hate the pictures of me before, during and right after having a baby--you don't look swollen at all! That boy is so adorable! I want to hold him!! I love his hair! It looks like he has quite a bit! And I am surprised you had such a big boy! Jack has always eaten every 2-3 hours! It is tiring, huh? I hope you get enough rest and recover quickly! I want to hear all the gory details--so call or email me when you feel up to it! Love you tons! I am so proud of my southern baby having a baby! :)

Katie T. said...

Lindsay,
You sure looked great after having a baby! Cameron is such an adorable baby! It sounds like your labor went pretty good! Good luck with everything!

Angie said...

What an adorable baby boy!!! He is such a little sweetie. And I'm glad your birth experience was good... The recovery can be rough, but you'll be feeling better soon, I'm sure.

Oh, and are you SERIOUS?! You look incredible through the whole process. Did you even sweat? :)

Loralee said...

Lindsay I hope you don't mind that I tracked your blog down, but I had to check out your cute little guy! He's adorable!! Congratulations on your new little family and on surviving the first week...it gets better!

The Skoobs said...

He is sooo CUTE...He weighed the same as my little guy....I am so glad that you had such an easy delivery....and you only pushed for a couple of minutes!!!...consider yourself lucky or blessed...he is so sweet!!!

Lindsay said...

Lindsay, congrats!!! I'm so happy for you! You look INCREDIBLE in all the pictures of you in the hospital....I'm so jealous. He's SO cute and looks so healthy! I love em' that big! You have been so blessed with an easy labor and delivery....Congrats!

mommy24 said...

There is something extra special about having a baby the first time around. Your Cameron is so precious. And did you go to the beauty parlor before delivering?? Your hair looks fabulous!

MoDLin said...

Lindsay, your little fellow is perfectly precious. You and your husband look soooooo happy. Thanks for sharing your story and wonderful pictures.