Monday, October 15, 2007

A Proud Moment…

Every now and then, John does something that makes me SO proud of him! Tonight was one of those nights. After work, we went over to our flip property to show it to an interested buyer. Afterwards, we went to grab a bite to eat at a nearby restaurant. When the waitress brought us our food, I realized that she brought me the wrong thing, so I told her that this wasn’t what I ordered. I ordered the Fiesta Lime Chicken and she brought me fish. She began to apologize profusely and told me that she would take care of it. In the meantime, she brought me a free salad and all was fine. As she came to check on us now and again, I could tell that she was really upset about her mistake and she told us she was new and was really sorry about the mistake. She was so sweet and I felt so bad that she was so upset. I let her know that it was an honest mistake and not to worry. We started to talk to her a little bit and we found out that she was from a little town in Tennessee, really close to where John’s parents live. She and John began talking about Tennessee and he asked her what brought her to Jacksonville. She looked a little uncomfortable with the question and mumbled something I couldn’t quite understand. I asked her to repeat herself and she leaned in and whispered in my ear that what brought her to Jacksonville was a domestic violence shelter.
I was so incredibly humbled by this sweet girl and her circumstances. I told John what she said and we both agreed that we should leave her a generous tip. I was thinking maybe $10, which was over 50 percent of our bill. John told me that she could probably use a little extra money. He asked me if I would be okay with leaving her $20, which incidentally was more than the cost of our entire meal. Of course I agreed that it was okay with me. I was really touched by my husband’s compassion and generosity. Everyone who knows John knows he’s a little on the cheap side! And money has certainly been tight with us lately. I was really proud of him tonight! He has such a kind heart and I was very touched by his generosity. When we left, the happy expression of this sweet waitress’s face was so rewarding to us and it truly made my night! I realize that in the grand scheme of things, this was a small, ordinary thing that we did, but it was done with love! And as Mother Teresa once said
“Do ordinary things with extraordinary love.”
What a wonderful night!

8 comments:

Jill said...

That is such a great story!! I bet you totally made that girl's night, week, life!!! I love doing things like that for people...just simple things that are sometimes effortless for us make all the difference in other peoples lives. Awesome example!!

Mandy said...

Way to go John. I am sure you lifted that girl up in more way than just giving money, just letting her know there is still good in the world after what she has been through.

Meredith said...

that is so sweet! i agree with jill & mandy. even more than the money, she knows there is still good in the world. (and I love the fiesta lime chicken, too!)

Emily said...

Poor thing...I can't believe she told you, strangers--why she was there from Tennessee...but I am SURE you made her day! You gave her a little hope, perhaps.

Krystal Trapnell said...

You got a good one, Lindsay! That was very sweet.

jan said...

Oh you sweet people! What a great story. I am proud of both of you. For a minute there I was afraid you gave her your flip house.

Emily said...

That really made my day reading that story! I love you both so much and I am happy that you helped her out!

Mandy said...

I see you are reading "The Choice" I just finished that and enjoyed it, you never know if he is going to do a happily ever after or not, but you will have to wait and see then. Enjoy it