Thursday, May 29, 2008

Corporate America rears it's ugly head!

I thought long and hard about whether or not to post about this subject but in my effort to always keep it real on my blog, I decided to go ahead and do it! Please don't interpret this post as a rant or rave or a bash on Corporate America. I'm simply filling you in on what's going on in my life right now.
Effective tomorrow, I am officially "displaced", "realigned", however you want to say it, I've essentially been layed off. My company has been reorganizing several of it's divisions over the last year and with that always comes budget cuts. Three people in my department have already been layed off this year, and now IT'S MY TURN unfortunately. As the youngest member of my team, with the least amount of experience (and no masters degree) I just became the victim of round two of displacements (along with two other of my more "seasoned" colleagues).
This is the type of thing that you think will never happen to you, or at least I thought that. You think, my boss likes me, my clients think I'm great, and I've won awards! I work hard and I'm great at what I do. I'm safe! That's not always the case and so I have just learned.
In digesting this large slice of humble pie over the past two weeks, I've realized that this is not the end of the world. This may complicate our lives right now and put certain plans on hold but as this song says... There's more than this. And I truly believe that. And I've been lucky enough to have the work experiences that I've had so far and I'm looking forward to what's next!
So as I embark upon the next few months of "pay-cation" (What my friends at work and I like to call it) hopefully I will find another job that I will love even more than my current job (corporate communications consultant). I also hope to have a little summer fun with all my friends who have the best, most important jobs in the world, stay at home mommies! Now that I'm home during the day now call me! Let's go to the beach!

9 comments:

Ashley Perez said...

I'm so sorry! We were just dumped with some financial worries as well and it really does suck! Hey- at least you won't have to deal with corporate for a while, right? I'm not a big fan anyway =).

Emily said...

I am sorry Lindsay! This day sucks for us all! Me because of Jordan and you because of losing your job. I am sorry!!!! I love you so much and I wish you could have the desires of your heart. Which I know what they are and hopefully you can have it all soon. My heart goes out to you. Life just seems full of disappointment right now for us all. But, I know it will all get better :0) Even if it takes a while. I am glad I get to see you soon :) Hang in there.

Krystal Trapnell said...

Lindsay, I'm so sorry! What a bummer. You deserve better!

I am coming to Jacksonville in a couple of weeks. Let's hang out!

me said...

I love that...pay-cation. Sorry about the job loss. Do you have anymore schooling to do? Maybe now could be the time to go back or work on the masters. Perhaps you could qualify for some grants or something.

The Skoobs said...

I am so sorry about your job...but you sound so good and optimistic...which is great...this could be the best that ever happen to you...you never know...you are such a wonderful person...hang in there!!!

Jill said...

I'm sorry, that stinks. You seem to have a positive attitude about it though. Good luck! It's funny how the Lord guides us even when things seem hard and difficult...usually something better is waiting around the corner!! Have fun at the beach in the meantime :)

Emily said...

LINDS!!! I need to check blogs more often! I am so sorry! Their loss! I am goin to email you! Love you!!!

The Kenyons said...

I am sorry you are being laid off! But I know that you are a successful lady and will get a great job soon! You are amazing Linds and someone else will be so lucky to get you! Good luck!

A.J. said...

Thomas, You're too good for those jokers. You did the best work on that team for years and they're going to find out quickly that they made yet another ridiculous mistake in a long line of ridiculous mistakes. If you can get back in the building, try to find the sombrero. Enjoy the paycation...
AB