Saturday, February 14, 2009

Random thoughts...


A co-worker of mine at work pointed something out to me the other day. A funny little branded soap that we have in our break room at work that I am just baffled by... On the little soap bottle near the sink, is a label that says "Non-Ultra Joy". Why in the world would you name your soap "Non-Ultra Joy"??? It's an oxi-moron right on the label.

We've all heard of escalating hyperbole for products: extra, ultra, super, premium, elite, luxurious. So I found it ODD that The Joy Company chose to brand their product "Non-Ultra Joy"! If you thought you were getting Ultra, you are mistaken my friend. Non-Ultra - It's not Sorta-Ultra, aLittle-Ultra… Non.

So I'm thinking, if it's not Ultra, why bring it up? Why not just call it Joy? Why get people thinking that they might just be getting something several notches down from Ultra? I didn't even want to use it!

This is a slippery slope for brand naming and packaging ;) You don't need a degree in Advertising to figure that one out (Although, I do have a degree in Advertising so I guess it did teach me something!)

3 comments:

Emily said...

That is so funny! Advertising is so great, I love studying marketing and stuff!

mommy24 said...

Haaa! I use this dish soap and didn't even notice! You clever girl!!

marlene said...

I never noticed either about the label - how clever of you to notice that. You should write them and tell them what you think of their advertising!