Monday, February 18, 2008

1943 Guide to Hiring Women



I belong to a Women's Interactive Network at work and someone in the group came across this ancient magazine article from 1943 entitled "1943 Guide to Hiring Women". She sent it to everyone and I must say that it was a VERY interesting read! Being a woman in the workplace today, it AMAZES me how much times have changed in a mere 65 years! If some joker tried to publish something like this today, can you imagine the response he would get??? He and his publisher would probably be FIRED on the spot! My job involves about 90 percent writing and as someone who knows a little bit about the subject, I'm appalled that gargage like this was credible to people reading publications like "Transportation" magazine. I love the line about "husky girls" being more even tempered. Please! What a joke! I wonder what kind of study this gentleman conducted to determine that! We've come a long way in 65 years ladies! The "male supervisors" of 1943 better be glad that I was born 39 years later because they wouldnt have known what hit em!!! Read it by double clicking on the picture and enlarging. It's very amusing!

7 comments:

Emily said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Emily said...

I agree with ten about swearing, but everything is so offensive and I am disgusted with it, its a good thing I was not born back then either! Thanks for sharing, it makes me happy to be a woman now in our day. The sad thing is, you know there are men out there who still think this way!

Krystal Trapnell said...

That was funny. I didn't realize that I would be more efficient if I tidied my hair, washed my hands, and reapplied lipstick throughout the day...I'll have to try it!

I'm glad the Church has such a different opinion of women than the rest of the world.

Emily said...

ha ha! I agree with Krystal! Maybe that is why I got cranky at work--didn't apply my lipstick or brush my hair often enough! WOw! How about that physician one---they advised to have a girl have a physical in order to defend against law suits...what!? Crazy! THe whole article was so patronizing and horrible! Funny, but highly offensive! :)

Patti said...

That was a riot! I love the part about older women being cantankerous and fussy, and younger unmarried women being "less responsible". The guy who wrote this thinks he has women figured out. I must have done so well in school because I was "husky"!

Unknown said...

Lindsay, you should add the one about when it's appropriate to wear pantsuits.

Emily said...

Hi Linds, Have you and John checked out Kendra and Dave's blog, its on my blog list but here is the website:

http://thegravesfamily6.blogspot.com/


She wanted me to tell you! Its really cute :)