Friday, August 15, 2008

Weeknight Date Night

Recently, John discovered that our local AMC Theater offers ½ off ticket prices on the weekdays and they also offer a deal on popcorn and a drink for only $5 (free refills included). This is the deal of a lifetime for John because he will refill his diet coke 5 times if you let him!
We went to the movies the other night and saw Mama Mia, which we both LOVED! I liked it so much more than I thought I would! Go see it if you haven’t already done so! It’s a really fun movie to watch and you can sing along to all your favorite Abba classics! Surprisingly, Meryl Streep and the other actors are pretty good singers! Pierce Brosnan was not the best vocalist of the bunch but I guess he was okay! It was fun. And if you are from the Jacksonville Florida Arlington area, go to AMC 24 for a Weeknight Date Night of your own. John estimated that we saved about $20 by going to the movies on a weekday. He cracks me up! The boy is always looking for a deal! In the almost three years that we’ve been married, he’s never bought one item of clothing for himself UNLESS it was 75 percent off, he only orders from the dollar menu and wherever we go, he always wants to share stuff which ends up being a terrible deal for me because he will eat/ drink 90 percent of it in like 2 seconds! When we went to Universal Studios a few weeks ago, he wanted to share a snow cone! I’ve become wise over the years and decided to refuse that offer. I got my own snow cone.
His thriftiness has rubbed off on me in recent days though (which is a great change from the old days!) For those of you who’ve known me a while, you know I’ve often overlooked price tags and money burns a hole straight through my pocket! I’ve inherited my mom’s expensive taste! But now that I’m an old married woman, I think I’ve changed! I no longer buy clothes that aren’t on sale, I too order only from the dollar menu and I am still driving the same car I’ve had since I was 17 because it get’s great gas mileage. Good old Cindy the Civic (now 9 years old) is still going strong with almost 130 K miles under her belt. I’d like to thank my frugal hubby for helping me be more responsible with my money! And weeknight date nights are the best. You can have two for the price of one weekend date night! And I don’t know if this is a nation wide thing but Applebee’s has two for one appetizers after 10p.m., another one of John’s recent discoveries!

3 comments:

Emily said...

OK here in UT I don't think Applebee's is open after 10pm! ha ha! :) And that post cracked me up and made me miss you even more! I would always ask you in college, "How much was that?" and you would say,"hmm, I don't know." And then I would tell you the price--YOu: "Really? That much?" SO funny! Glad that John has influenced you a bit--but wise choice not to share food! My Inny needs some meat on her bones! Love you! :)

Ashley Perez said...

You are so adorable! It's always the hubbys that help us to be more frugal, isn't it? Maybe that's because they don't have to worry about jewelry and make up and waxing and mani/pedis, etc.! I absolutely LOVED Mamma Mia. I saw the midnight showing the night it came out and then bought the soundtrack the next day. That's awesome that John liked it too. Jeff will be forced to watch it when I buy it on dvd.

Emily said...

This post made me laugh so hard, because John and I have similar traits! I do all the things he does, except I let the other person I am sharing with have half! Your a good sport :) I am glad you two go on dates every week, it is a comfort to me that you both are happy and in love with each other :)