Wednesday, August 13, 2008

You can't win them all... unless you're Michael Phelps!


I stayed up extra late last night to watch the girls gymnastics- my favorite summer Olympic sport. The U.S. girls won the silver medal and China won the gold. I was a little sad and I know this was quite an upset to the U.S. girls. They were so close to winning the gold but due to several uncharacteristic errors including a pretty nasty fall during Alicia Sacramone's (pictured above hugging her team mate) floor routine, that sadly put them out of the running for the gold.
Though I am sure this is EXTREMELY disappointing for Sacramone and the other girls, I think they did an EXCELLENT job. Silver is still a GREAT HONOR. And let's face it, it's hard competing against a bunch of 14 year old Chinese gymnasts! I mean, who do they think are fooling??? (For those who don't know, you have to be 16 years old to compete in the Olympics for gymnastics). Some of those Chinese girls looked so unbelievably young, I'd be surprised if they were even 14! I think they had a total advantage. But I'm not going to say any more about the subject! Congratulations girls on a job well done!

And Michael Phelps won his 11th (or possibly 12th gold medal. I've been at work all day and haven't caught the latest!) He's won the most Olympic gold medals of any other Olympian EVER! WOW! What an inspiration he is! And the boy can eat! I saw a segment on his daily caloric intake and it was incredible! It's something like 12,000 calories per day when he competes. He eats like a champ and I think he swims a couple laps a day too :) What a champ!

3 comments:

Emily said...

It is pretty exciting! I watched 10 minutes of it last night and I see what people are talking about with the girls looking so young! Its crazy!!

Ashley Perez said...

I'm with you on all of that! I too watched the the girls get silver and I was saying the same thing to everyone. Everyone acts like gold is the only one to get! I think they just lacked the confidence and extra push this time. I am excited to watch the individual competition tonight though =). We all know Shawn Johnson is going to go all out.

Oh and as for the incredibly good looking Mr. Phelps, sheesh! I keep hearing the number go up, but I heard that when competing, he eats around 12,000 calories a day! Must be nice, eh?!

Emily said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Olympics! They have been very cool this year. I wish the gymnastics girls could've done better--but I enjoyed the individuals. So fun!