Friday, April 24, 2009

Miracles

My family has seen our fair share of miracles. This week, we've seen another one! Many of you know my step father Peter has been battling esophageal cancer (cancer of the esophagus) for the past 8 months. When he was first diagnosed, the prognosis was grim. The doctor told my mom he probably only had months to live! Nevertheless, Peter began very aggressive chemo and radiation treatments to combat this extremely fast growing, almost always fatal cancer. As the doctors ran more tests as the months went on, they saw that Peter was responding very well to the treatments and they did a pet scan on Monday and found that the cancer was COMPLETELY gone. He won't have to undergo any more chemo/ radiation treatments. Peter's doctor told us this was nothing short of a MIRACLE. When Peter was diagnosed, 4 other of the doctors patient were diagnosed with this same type of cancer and 3 of the 4 have passed away and the 4th is not doing well at all. All of these patients were HALF Peter's age too! I got chills when my mom told me that. This is truly a testimony to me of miracles and the power of prayer. With God, truly NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE. We celebrated Peter's birthday Thursday night and I thought to myself, what a WONDERFUL birthday present! To be healthy again when absolutely all odds were against you! I just thought I'd share our good news with everyone. Also, here are a few pics we took at his birthday party at Stonewood Grill Thursday night, a family favorite. Afterwards, we had cake and ice cream and opened presents back at my mom's house. You are never too old for cake, ice cream and presents in our family! It was a great night!

The birthday boy who had MUCH to smile about!


Dinner at Stonewood- John and I with Pete

My mom, aunt Sheila and aunt Sandra

9 comments:

The Kenyons said...

Oh Linds! That is a miracle! I am so happy that it is completely gone! What a blessing!!!

Ashley Perez said...

Oh my goodness that is wonderful! I almost got teary eyed when I was reading this. That is amazing! I'm so glad he's okay.

Angie said...

That is amazing... We're so happy for you and your family!

me said...

I'm sure Pete is feeling extremely blessed and has a new prospective on life. It is indeed a miracle. My Dad's chemo has shrunk his tumor from a 9 to a 6 so far. Hopefully he will continue to receive good news.

Emily said...

That is such a beautiful blessing!!! I am so thrilled for you and your family. Peter is such a sweet and great man and I am so happy he does not have to suffer through Chemo anymore! What a great birthday present!!!

amber said...

I am SOOO happy for Peter, your Mom and your family!! That is great news!! I hope he keeps up the miracles. :)

Kristin Lea Robinson said...

This makes me so so so happy. I miss you and can't wait to see you! I'll call you soon.

Love you mucho!

Emily said...

YAY!!!! I am soooo happy!!!! That is awesome! Brought tears to my eyes! I love Peter! Tell your mom and Pete hi for me and that I am so happy to hear such great news!!! WOW! (on a side note: how come your blog doesn't update as new on my blog--ever? I didn't see this post til just now!) Love you!

jan said...

I am so glad Peter is doing well. He has fought the odds yet again. Tell you mom and I am thinking of them and tell Peter Happy Belated Birthday.